Department: Information Center - Research
Reports To: Vice President & Chief Knowledge Officer
Location: Flexible: can work virtually or from a Catalyst office in the US
Summary of Responsibilities
The Data Visualization Specialist defines, designs, and executes data visualization content based on Catalyst’s research and findings. This position is responsible for communicating progressive ideas through clear, compelling infographics, maps, data visualizations, interactive media, and product design for the Information Center. The Data Visualization Specialist works collaboratively with members of Catalyst’s Designer Center to design infographics for Marketing content.
- Responsible for the design and creation of infographics, web graphics, and online interactive visualizations of Catalyst’s data.
- Work as a member of the Information Center, the DV specialist will work collaboratively to identify the best opportunities to visually depict research data for a variety of studies and statistical products.
- Use data analysis, graphic design, and all appropriate graphics and technology tools to present data in ways that are accurate, accessible, appealing, and innovative.
Knowledge and Skills
- Superior design and data visualization skills, as demonstrated by a wide-ranging portfolio of information graphics.
- Expert knowledge of graphics and visualization tools such as Adobe CS5 Suite including Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Excel. Knowledge of Flash a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to take complex information and translate it for use in graphic or interactive web pieces.
- Ability to work well independently and to know when to include others.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with current web standards-based HTML and CSS.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at one time in a fast-paced environment.
- A commitment to the highest standards of design and data accuracy.
Education and Experience Requirements
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree in information design, graphic design, or related field.
- Minimum of three years of graphic design experience, which must include one year of work experience in infographics.
- Interactive design experience is a plus.