Department: Catalyst Europe
Reports to : SVP, Membership & Global Operations
Summary of Responsibility
As part of a growing global membership structure, the Executive Director will be responsible for furthering the strategy and plan to grow the Europe business and for ensuring the delivery of high-quality products and services for a broad array of EU constituencies, including corporate and professional member organizations, senior executives, the media, and other key stakeholders. This individual will lead the strategic growth of the organization in Europe, and will play a key role in ensuring that Catalyst Europe’s operations are aligned with those of the global organization.
Specifically, this individual will be accountable for the following responsibilities, all of which are integral to the success of this role:
Vision and Leadership
- Develop a vision and plan to support Catalyst’s continued expansion, evolution, growth and impact in the European marketplace.
- As a member of Catalyst’s global membership and operations team, contribute to strategic direction, plans and policies for the global organization, growth and expansion.
- Create short- and long-range plans to advance Catalyst’s reputation and impact in Europe, including media relations opportunities, the timing and nature of Catalyst service offerings, and other regional activities.
- Work with the SVP, Membership and Global Operations, Catalyst Europe staff, other members of the Catalyst Executive Committee, and the Catalyst Europe Advisory Board to provide program vision and direction in order to grow the organization and move its mission forward.
- Provide clear direction and motivation to all members of the Europe team, develop direct reports’ annual performance goals and measures, conduct annual performance reviews and provide ongoing and timely feedback and developmental guidance.
- Develop and execute an annual business plan, including budget (approximately $1.8 million), measures of success and required resources.
- Build close working relationships and rapport with members of the Catalyst Europe Advisory Board, executives from Catalyst member organizations, and other key contacts.
- Direct team members in the active recruitment of new members and in the development and delivery of events and other programs to demonstrate value of Catalyst membership and further Catalyst’s mission.
- Develop a network of external contacts in the corporate, professional, nonprofit, and academic communities.
- Serve as a spokesperson for Catalyst at a variety of speaking venues, including research releases, media briefings, media interviews, conferences and corporate sessions.
Advisory Board Relations
- Develop and maintain a strong working relationship and partnership with the Advisory Board.
- Working in conjunction with the SVP, Membership and Global Operations, identify candidates for the Catalyst Europe Advisory Board that will further Catalyst’s mission and ensure continued diversity on the Advisory Board.
- Develop agenda and lead meetings of the Catalyst Europe Advisory Board.
- With advice from the VP, Global Marketing and Corporate Communications, and contract support from an external agency, serve as a key spokesperson for the organization, affecting opinion, actions and policy through both proactive and reactive media outreach.
- Communicate the mission and work of the organization to senior-level executives and at major speaking venues.
- With support for responsible Catalyst Europe team members, plan and execute strategies to gain sponsorship for events and other programs.
- Provide support, as requested, in building relationships that lead to corporate donations to Catalyst’s capital campaign, membership upgrades to “research partner”, table sales for the Catalyst Award and other corporate initiatives.
Knowledge and Skills
- Is a recognized leader in her or his organization with a record of launching, leading and/or contributing to successful initiatives to advance women in the workplace.
- Has strong analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex ideas and research findings to a business audience.
- Understands the business landscape in Europe, and uses insights to inform Catalyst’s research agenda, strategy and program offerings.
- Has demonstrated management and staff development abilities and a leadership style that emphasizes consensus-building, participation and empowerment. Sets the tone for an open and collaborative environment that emphasizes cooperation, communication, teamwork and trust.
- Has proven client service, relationships management and analytical skills.
- Understands how organizational and societal change is effected and how to identify opportunities to promote and further that change.
- Understands and is comfortable working in a resource-constrained environment.
- Has demonstrated business development and/or fundraising experience.
- Is cross-culturally adept and has a demonstrated ability to work effectively in a global, multi-location organization, plus the knowledge and appreciation for the technology tools required to bring together people and operate effectively in a virtual environment.
- Has experience dealing with an Advisory Board and/or Board of Directors.
- Has had multiple and successful interactions with the media.
- Demonstrates excellent spoken and written English ability.
Education and Experience Requirements
Has a minimum of ten years leadership experience in corporate, nonprofit, and/or academic organizations. Has an MBA, PhD, or other advanced degree in a related field. Has the ability to conduct business in English; working knowledge of German, French and/or Spanish preferred, but not required. The ideal candidate is an accomplished executive who can work effectively with Catalyst’s corporate and community constituencies. This individual has passion for Catalyst’s mission, and the skills and experience to move Catalyst Europe forward in pursuit of that mission. This position requires an EU or Swiss passport as it will be based in either the UK or Switzerland.
Please email your CV, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Executive Director” in the subject line.